We woke up to the passing of another Hollywood legend today as news spread of Tony Curtis' death at age 85 on Wednesday. While the bulk of Curtis' work lies just outside the typical timeline of this site it would be a major oversight to overlook the death of an artist who appeared in popular and some cases iconic films such as Houdini (1953), Sweet Smell of Success (1957), The Defiant Ones (1958) Some Like It Hot (1959), The Boston Strangler (1968), plus so many more.
Owing to the timing of his career I could only come up with two Tony Curtis images from my collectibles archives, but I think they're both quite nice. The first is a circa 1955 Skye Publications Premium Photo showing Curtis with his first and most famous wife, Janet Leigh. Below that is a Barber's Tea Trading Card from the same year with a beautiful image of the young Curtis. Following the photos you'll find several links to more detailed obituaries and remembrances of Tony Curtis.
Coverage of Tony Curtis from Other Sites:
- Tony Curtis, Hollywood Leading Man, Dies at 85 by Dave Kehr, New York Times
- Tony Curtis 1925-2010: 10 things you need to know about the screen legend by Ann Gripper, Mirror.co.uk
- Tony Curtis: Iconic Actor, Abstract Painter by Jared Keller, The Atlantic
- TCM Remembers Tony Curtis, 1925-2010 - TCM makes mention of arranging "a special memorial programming event in the coming weeks" at the bottom of their article. Update: All day and night, in fact, October 10.
- Cinema Viewfinder by Tony Dayoub
- Out of the Past ~ A Classic Film Blog
- Edward Copeland on Film
- Hollywood Dreamland
- Laura's Miscellaneous Musings
- The Kitty Packard Pictorial
- Self-Styled Siren
- A Shroud of Thoughts