I regret to say I nearly had to skip this Donna Reed photo-schedule simply because Reed comes along just a little later than most of the stars discussed here and so I have a very limited number of photos on file. But given that March’s Ginger Rogers and April’s Robert Taylor schedules have been very popular, at least in terms of traffic, I thought I probably had just enough to get us through to the bottom of the page.
That said, I wouldn’t look for a Natalie Wood photo-schedule in June—I don’t believe I have anything with her image on it!
Growing up with Donna Reed largely through It’s a Wonderful Life (1946) and Nick-at-Nite’s 1980’s constant airing of The Donna Reed Show (what’d they have, like 4 shows back then?) I must say I can recall it being a bit of a shock the first time I saw From Here to Eternity! In fact as the years have passed and I’ve run into Donna Reed in more and more classic films I find myself shocked to say she’s kind of sexy, which completely shatters my impression from those formative years!
Beauty aside, May 2010 promises to unveil a much more complete image of Donna Reed for all of us. What’s most intriguing at first glance of this month’s TCM Star of the Month schedule is the sheer variety of films Reed appeared in throughout her career. There doesn’t seem to be any tight themes to be developed as they were for those other recent Stars of the Month, such as the Musicals featuring Ginger Rogers or the Westerns with Robert Taylor. It’s a true hodge-podge for Donna Reed, and it looks like fun!
Here’s what I mean:
May TCM Star of the Month Donna Reed Schedule
*All times EST
Starting Wednesday, May 5, 2010
- 8:00 pm Shadow of the Thin Man (1941) starring William Powell, Myrna Loy, Donna Reed
- 9:45 pm The Courtship of Andy Hardy (1942) starring Mickey Rooney, Lewis Stone, Donna Reed
- 11:30 pm Calling Dr. Gillespie (1942) starring Lionel Barrymore, Philip Dorn, Donna Reed
- 1:00 am Dr. Gillespie’s Criminal Case (1943) starring Lionel Barrymore, Van Johnson, Donna Reed
- 2:45 am Babes on Broadway (1941) starring Judy Garland, Mickey Rooney, Donna Reed
- 5:00 am The Human Comedy (1943) starring Mickey Rooney, Donna Reed, Frank Morgan
- 7:00 am The Bugle Sounds (1942) starring Wallace Beery, Marjorie Main, Donna Reed
- 8:45 am Apache Trail (1942) starring Lloyd Nolan, Donna Reed, William Lundigan
- 10:00 am Gentle Annie (1944) starring Donna Reed, Marjorie Main, Henry Morgan
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
- 8:00 pm The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945) starring Hurd Hatfield, Angela Lansbury, Donna Reed
- 10:00 pm The Last Time I Saw Paris (1954) starring Elizabeth Taylor, Van Johnson, Donna Reed
- 12:00 am Green Dolphin Street (1947) starring Lana Turner, Van Heflin, Donna Reed
- 2:30 am The Man From Down Under (1943) starring Charles Laughton, Binnie Barnes, Donna Reed
- 4:30 am Mokey (1942) starring Dan Dailey, Donna Reed, Robert Blake
- 6:00 am Raiders of the Seven Seas (1953) starring John Payne, Donna Reed, Lon Chaney, Jr.
- 7:30 am Gun Fury (1953) starring Rock Hudson, Donna Reed, Lee Marvin
- 9:00 am They Rode West (1954) starring Robert Francis, Donna Reed, Philip Carey
- 10:30 am Three Hours to Kill (1954) starring Dana Andrews, Donna Reed, Dianne Foster
Wednesday, May 19, 2010
- 8:00 pm Trouble Along the Way (1953) starring John Wayne, Donna Reed, Charles Coburn
- 10:00 pm Saturday’s Hero (1951) starring John Derek, Donna Reed, Sidney Blackmer
- 12:00 am Ransom! (1956) starring Glenn Ford, Donna Reed, Leslie Nielsen
- 2:00 am Scandal Sheet (1952) starring John Derek, Donna Reed, Broderick Crawford
- 3:30 am The Whole Truth (1958) starring Stewart Granger, Donna Reed, George Sanders
- 5:00 am Eyes in the Night (1942) starring Edward Arnold, Donna Reed, Ann Harding
- 6:30 am The Getaway (1941) starring Robert Sterling, Dan Dailey, Donna Reed
Wednesday, May 26, 2010
- 8:00 pm From Here to Eternity (1953) starring Burt Lancaster, Montgomery Clift, Frank Sinatra
- 10:15 pm They Were Expendable (1945) starring Robert Montgomery, John Wayne, Donna Reed
- 12:45 am See Here, Private Hargrove (1944) starring Robert Walker, Donna Reed, Keenan Wynn
- 2:30 am Faithful in My Fashion (1946) starring Tom Drake, Donna Reed, Edward Everett Horton
- 4:00 am Thousands Cheer (1943) starring Gene Kelly, Kathryn Grayson, Judy Garland
Donna Reed seems to get a bit of the short shrift here, especially after the mega-months for Rogers and Taylor—only 30 films for Reed, however TCM has a lot going on this month including the weekly Race and Hollywood theme which looks at Native American Images in Film throughout May, plus the traditional 3-day Memorial Day Weekend War Movie Marathon.
This is pretty neat, just discovered that not only is The Donna Reed Show on Hulu, but that I can embed it here and you can watch episodes without even leaving Immortal Ephemera! I like it: