Movie Cards and Collectibles to 1919
Movie specific collectibles needed the star system. While some earlier sets are featured in the pages linked below they are theatrical based sets which often did include several personalities who later became movie stars. As the decade turned to 1910 postcards were the mostly likely place to collect a movie face.
But our hobby really began to bloom about the time D.W. Griffith rose to greatest prominence mid-decade. The war soon nipped our collectibles in the bud but they did prosper, especially in America, during the mid and late 1910s. Trading cards were issued with a variety of products and even as souvenir box sets. Fans began to request photos. The movie house itself offered a wide variety of ephemera. The movies and baseball were popular subjects for promoting a wide variety of products from food to, of course, tobacco.
Our earliest popularly collected film stars featured on cardboard and ephemeral items include Mary Pickford and Lillian Gish; our most famous vamp, Theda Bara; Charlie Chaplin and Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle; and tragic names such as Wallace Reid, Mabel Normand and Olive Thomas.
The following pages describe each issue named in the title and include both a gallery and checklist naming and often showing either a complete set or all of the cards from that set that I have handled.
- 1902 Craddock’s Blue Soap Actors & Actresses Playing Cards
- 1908 Theatrical Actors & Actresses Deck of Playing Cards
- 1912-1915 Kraus Mfg. Co. Early Movie Star Postcard Gallery
- 1914 Wentz Film Star Stamps and Album
- 1916 C93 Imperial Movie Star Tobacco Cards
- 1916 Cahill-Igoe Film Stars with Movie Theatre Schedules on Reverse
- 1916 Film Star Movie Theater Handout Cards
- 1916 MJ Moriarty Playing Cards – Movie Souvenir Card Co.
- 1916 Water Color Co. of NY, Paper Premium Photos, Set of 80
- 1916 Wills “Cinema Stars” Tobacco Cards – Scissors Brand
- 1917 Kromo Gravure Leading Movie Picture Stars – Gallery of 200 Cards
- 1917 North American Photoplay Favorites Supplements
- 1919 Ivan B. Nordhem Movie Star Bread Premiums
- Movie Star Ink Blotters
Old Style Pages
The following Movie Card and Collectibles Galleries are have not been moved over to Immortal Ephemera yet.
All of the pages below are set to open in a separate window so you don't lose your place here, on the main site.
- 1911 Vitagraph Players 3-1/2 X 5-1/2 Cards
- 1910's Real Photo Cards (1-11/16 X 2-3/4)
- 1915 Chicago Sunday Tribune Supplement Photos
- 1915 Movie Star Felt Pennants
- 1915 Ornate Pink Border Grocery Cards
- 1915 Universal Post Cards
- 1915-16 B&W Cards with Borders
- c. 1915-17 Piqua, Ohio 'Favorite Theatre' Trading Cards
- 1916 St. Louis Globe - Democrat Water Color Company Premiums
- 1916 Wills Scissors Brand 30 Actresses Orange Borders
- 1916-1917 Strand Theatre/Kline Poster Co. Color Ad Cards
- 1917 Kromo Gravure 1,2,3 Trading Cards
- 1917 Kromo Gravure Trading Cards Box No. 4
- 1917 Kromo Gravure Rounded Borders Trading Cards
- 1917 Kromo Gravure No Borders Trading Cards
- 1917 Philadelphia Inquirer Color Supplement Photos
- 1917 Theatrical Advertising Co. 3x5 Trading Cards
- 1917 Kromo Gravure Trading Cards with Examples of Advertising on Reverse
- 1917-20 T&D and Kinema Theatre Advertising Cards
- 1919 Home Mirror Satin Cinema Stars Cards
- 1920 Cinema Chat Supplements
- 1910's S Series Rotary Photograph Postcards
- 1910's J. Beagles & Co. Postcards
- 1910's-20's Strip Cards