About the 1939 Film Fantasy Card Game
45 card deck.
Each card measures 2-5/8" wide X 3-1/2 inches high.
Issued 1939, possibly 1940.
Likely issued by Castell Brothers, who also issued a similar Wizard of Oz card game in 1940.
From Great Britain; Copyright entered at Stationers' Hall.
The 45 cards shows scenes from 11 different films, all MGM releases. Four cards for each film except Ice Follies of 1939 which includes a fifth card, a Joker of sorts.
The 11 films and their key stars are noted in the checklist at the bottom of this page.
Beneath that checklist I've included both sides of the fold out instruction booklet.
One of the most colorful sets of cards you will ever see. Colors fade on lesser condition decks that have been played with but absolutely blaze on higher grade examples such as those shown in our gallery.
Bright blue reverse side with a small image of the MGM lion and motto Ars Gratia Artis or Art for Art's Sake on each card (all backs are the same).
While the Film Fantasy game deck is of British issue, most of the films pictured were originally MGM Hollywood releases.
Stars pictured throughout the set include Johnny Weissmuller as Tarzan, Mickey Rooney and the rest of the Hardy Family, Joan Crawford, James Stewart, Myrna Loy, Robert Taylor, Clark Gable, Norma Shearer, Jeanette MacDonald and other familiarly collected names.
1939 Film Fantasy Card Game Gallery
The following gallery displays all 45 FILM FANTASY Game Cards and one example of the reverse side of the cards.
Just click on any image to open to full size and from there you can scroll through them all. Text listing of contents follows below.
Available for sale in the Immortal Ephemera Store:
Usually sold as a complete game deck, I've handled many over the years and offer a wide range of single cards from the deck:
1939 Film Fantasy Card Game - Movie Star Card Checklist
Note: Listed in the order shown in the main gallery above. There are four cards for each film except ICE FOLLIES OF 1939 which includes a fifth card. Total of 45 cards. Film stars are named though do not necessarily appear on all four cards for the film they represent.
- Lucky Night starring Robert Taylor and Myrna Loy
- Idiot's Delight starring Norma Shearer and Clark Gable
- Serenade starring Jeanette MacDonald and Lew Ayres
- Goodbye, Mr. Chips starring Robert Donat and Greer Garson
- Calling Dr. Kildare starring Lew Ayres and Lionel Barrymore
- The Lambeth Walk starring Lupino Lane, Sally Gray and Seymour Hicks
- The Hardys Ride High starring Mickey Rooney, Lewis Stone, Fay Holden and Cecilia Parker
- It's a Wonderful World starring James Stewart and Claudette Colbert
- Tarzan in Exile (aka Tarzan Finds a Son) starring Johnny Weissmuller and Maureen O'Sullivan
- Bridal Suite starring Annabella and Robert Young
- Ice Follies of 1939 starring Joan Crawford and James Stewart