Hopefully you see this in time to set your DVR's for some Errol Flynn on TCM. I hadn't realized that Monday the 20th marked Flynn's birthday until Sunday evening, but since he's a favorite I wanted to get something up on the site. If you're reading this at work Monday morning and it's too late to record anything, I apologize, but to compensate I did put together a Flynn gallery of vintage images and hunted down an old pre-fame Australian newspaper article that I quote below.
Fame Around the Corner ...
... is the headline used by The Argus of Melbourne, Australia when it previewed Murder at Monte Carlo's (1935) Lyceum run in their September 30, 1935 issue. The Argus report laments that young Flynn "been given some smartly flavoured lines ... but his acting, good as it is, has been swallowed up in the mechanics of the film."
Murder at Monte Carlo is one of two films Flynn worked in for Warner Brothers in Britain before being called over to the U.S. for parts in a pair of Warren William films, including Perry Mason entry The Case of the Curious Bride (1935) (link heads to my Warren-William.com site). After a slightly more expanded role in Don't Bet on Blondes (1935), Flynn would be cast in the lead in Captain Blood (1935) and quickly become a major star as a result.
"The day of Errol Flynn is bound to arrive sooner or later, for he has ability and a debonair charm of manner that must win him recognition as a light comedian of no mean order," claimed The Argus article. Bet they didn't quite expect the career born of Captain Blood!
Errol Flynn on TCM, Monday, June 20, 2011
*All times EST
- 6:45 am - Footsteps in the Dark (1941) starring Errol Flynn, Brenda Marshall, Ralph Bellamy
- 8:30 am - Cry Wolf (1947) starring Barbara Stanwyck, Errol Flynn, Geraldine Brooks
- 10:00 am - The Dawn Patrol (1938) starring Errol Flynn, Basil Rathbone, David Niven
- 11:45 am - Mara Maru (1952) starring Errol Flynn, Ruth Roman, Raymond Burr
- 1:30 pm - They Died with Their Boots On (1941) starring Errol Flynn, Olivia De Havilland, Arthur Kennedy
- 4:00 pm - The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex (1939) starring Bette Davis, Errol Flynn, Olivia De Havilland
- 6:00 pm - Adventures of Don Juan (1948) starring Errol Flynn, Viveca Lindfors, Alan Hale
Errol Flynn Movie Card and Collectibles Gallery
Just click on any image to open to full size and from there you can scroll through 25 images at a time. See the page numbering just below the gallery to move to the second page of 25 images, etc.
I was actually surprised there was that much to include in the gallery, but then I realized, Errol Flynn is still a hot seller. So while he shows up in a lot of movie card sets and issues I never actually have much in stock because he sells as soon as I list him! The Immortal Ephemera Store has just two Flynn items at this time, while my eBay store actually has an additional four items in stock at the moment.