August 14 is Bette Davis day on TCM Summer Under the Stars. 24 hours of Bette Davis movies and other programming air on Turner Classic Movies beginning at 6 am EST on the 14th. That entire schedule can be found towards the bottom of this post.
In between is a scrapbook of digital clippings I've compiled that highlight the beginning of Bette Davis' career. From the stage in Rochester to Broadway and on to Hollywood, headlines, excerpts and advertisements provide an overview of her career until the time of her first major breakthrough in Of Human Bondage in 1934. Enjoy:
Enjoy Bette Davis day on TCM's Summer Under the Stars, all day Wednesday, August 14. Twelve films are featured including both of her Academy Award winning titles, Dangerous and Jezebel. Also playing is a feature length documentary and Bette's appearances on both The Johnny Carson Show and The Dick Cavett Show. The complete Bette Davis TCM schedule follows:
Bette Davis, TCM Summer Under the Stars 2013
August 14, 2013; All times EST
- 6:00 am - Parachute Jumper (1933) starring Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., Leo Carrillo, Bette Davis, D: Alfred E. Green
- 7:30 am - The Girl from 10th Avenue (1935) starring Bette Davis, Ian Hunter, Colin Clive, D: Alfred E. Green
- 9:00 am - Dangerous (1935) starring Bette Davis, Franchot Tone, Margaret Lindsay, D: Alfred E. Green
- 10:30 am - Stardust: The Bette Davis Story (2006) - TCM Original Documentary
- 12:00 pm - Jezebel (1938) starring Bette Davis, Henry Fonda, Fay Bainter, D: William Wyler
- 2:00 pm - The Letter (1940) starring Bette Davis, Herbert Marshall, James Stephenson, D: William Wyler
- 3:45 pm - Now, Voyager (1942) starring Bette Davis, Paul Henreid, Claude Rains, D: Irving Rapper
- 5:45 pm - Watch on the Rhine (1943) starring Bette Davis, Paul Lukas, Lucile Watson, D: Herman Shumlin
- 7:45 pm - Carson on TCM: Bette Davis
- 8:00 pm - Ex-Lady (1933) starring Bette Davis, Gene Raymond, Frank McHugh, D: Robert Florey
- 9:15 pm - Dark Victory (1939) starring Bette Davis, George Brent, Humphrey Bogart, D: Edmund Goulding
- 11:15 pm - The Man Who Came to Dinner (1942) starring Bette Davis, Ann Sheridan, Monty Woolley, D: William Keighley
- 1:15 am - The Dick Cavett Show: Bette Davis
- 2:30 am - Payment on Demand (1951) starring Bette Davis, Barry Sullivan, Jane Cowl, D: Curtis Bernhardt
- 4:15 am - The Nanny (1965) starring Bette Davis, William Dix, Jill Bennett, D: Seth Holt
Bette Davis day is followed by 24 hours of Gregory Peck movies on Thursday, August 15 with Ann Blyth highlighted the following day, Friday, August 16.
As of this moment I don't plan anything on either Peck or Blyth as I am spending my time preparing something a little more in depth for Wallace Beery day on Saturday, August 17.